Thursday, June 3, 2010

Tearing up the floor again!

Many moons ago I realized that I made a mistake by painting and sealing the existing plywood. Someone on a bus conversion forum pointed out to me that by doing so, I had trapped any moisture into the wood and on top of the steal floor. When moisture is enclosed in such areas, that means rust and rot! A couple of friends helped me pry the plywood off. There was wet rotten wood, and rusty metal floors beneath them! I'm glad I took the step to look, so I don't end up with a rusty rotten floor ready to crumble a few years down the road!


The drivers seat area is the worst! After I grind the rust out (which practically flakes of in chunks anyway) I may have some metal welded to it for support.


So far, I've been taking some time to grind the rust out. It's been happening slowly but surely, thanks to my friends helping and letting me barrow tools!

2 comments:

  1. Are you wearing a Resporator, when you're painting? And a Particle Mask, when your grinding rust? Cause all that shit is REALLY TOXIC, Jody says, and He Knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also Jody says that anytime you want to get down to the bare metal, past the rust, you can use Metal Prep...that kind of etches into the metal so whatever you prime it with, can bond to the metal, and you want to use Red Oxide as the Primer,for metal and that'll lock the Rust out, and it will bond to the metal,better than KILZ.Cause as KILZ is the stuff for houses, Red Oxide is for Car metal.He says the red oxides expensive, though, unless you just buy it in the spray can, which might turn out to be the easiest way, too, But whatever you use , wear a respirator, so you don't kill a bunch of Brain cells, my sweet, smart, little School Bus Hippie.

    ReplyDelete